Monday, August 6, 2012

Life in Transition

I am now a fully commissioned missionary. What a cool thing to be able to say. Of course I couldn't just stay where I was commissioned for my service. I must go out. Doing that first meant coming home. I returned to Detroit last night and this morning went back to work at Motown Mission. I love Motown and the people I work and serve with. But it was such a strange experience today. I came back from being commissioned and jumped right back into life before training. Motown is exhausting physically and training was exhausting mentally. It is a weird transition to make. But even then I cannot go back to my life before training completely. Tomorrow I will take a couple hours off of work to speak about being a missionary. On Saturday I will move out of Detroit and move back to my home. Less than a week later I will arrive in Albany. Life is hectic while being routine.

I moved out of Detroit to go to training. I moved three times over the three and a half weeks of training. I then moved back to Detroit. Moving back home again soon and then moving to Albany is just crazy to me. Over a five and a half week period I will have moved 6 times. I am ready to arrive and unpack (I'm taking your advice to heart Liz!). I need to settle down and plant my roots. I need to join my new community.

I look forward to next week when I can relax a little. Even if it is just a little. Maybe I'll nap tomorrow since we'll get off of work early. Maybe I'll keep thinking about deep social and theological issues. Rest seems distant as it is. My wonderful prayer partner told me to make sure that I'm resting up because self-care is important. I need to do a better job at listening to her. Haha.

It's odd being away from my fellow missionaries after spending so much time with them but it is so good to be back with my Motown community. They are as funny as I remembered. These last couple transitions will be the hardest as I bid farewell to more and more friends.

I think it's time for a little bit of rest though.

1 comment: