Monday, December 9, 2013

Lord, In Your Mercy

Lord, in your mercy...

I came into work today and saw two barricades at the end of our block. When I turned the corner I saw numerous police cars and officers in an area just beyond our building. After talking to some neighbors I learned about that around two o'clock this morning there was a shooting. A 20 year old man had been shot and was in the hospital. An hour later the police told us he had died and I could see the sorrow in the officers eyes.

Our world, our country, our city, and our neighborhood suffer too much violence. Poverty has run rampant and with it so has violence. We are left with yet another tragedy. Yet another memorial on our block, the fifth in the area that I'll have seen in my time at AUMS. How many people must die before the cries of the people are heard?

My God, my God, why have you forsaken us?

We pray this day for healing, for the loved ones of this man, for the one who took another's life, for the neighborhood shaken by one more act of violence.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayers.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment