Saturday, July 14, 2012

Missionary in Training

I am in Stony Point, New York right now. Just north of New York City and a little southwest of Albany. I'm in a very strange place right now. Detroit is fresh on my mind and indeed I will be going back to Detroit before all is said and done, but I'm also so close to my new home. But I am getting settled into training. We will cover a great many things while I'm here. Not to start off lightly we have already covered Missio Dei, or the Mission of God, and the theology of mission. We have begun to share our call stories with one another as well as our life stories. Needless to say the people here are pretty awesome.

And so I'm in my third day of a training that will last for three and a half weeks. Next Friday we will move back to New York City and then on August 1st we will move to Crystal City, Arlington, Virginia. All of this is on a Charter bus. Which I suppose isn't too bad. I just hope that traffic in Albany is nothing like traffic around here. We are so geographically close to NYC but it took so long to travel out here. It's amazing how many people are constantly traveling to and from the city.

We have learned our top five strengths from Strength Finder 2.0. I read the description of my 5 strengths and laughed as I realized how awesome I sound coupled with the fact that everybody else sounds equally as awesome and how there are so many other strengths that make you sound awesome that I do not have. I think it would be good to hear where a few of our weaknesses were too but that's not the purpose I guess.

Tonight we will have a campfire. I'm on the campfire committee (because we're United Methodists). I'm looking forward to it. I'll just need to take my semi-free time today to make sure I know some campfire songs on my guitar. And I'll have to try some strange and intriguing concoction called a banana boat which is essentially a s'more but on a banana instead of graham crackers. I'm looking forward to it.

God has brought me here among some amazing people to learn some amazing things. I pray that my heart may be open and my ears attentive. That I may hear and know all the things and all their nuances being taught. May I be a servant of the Lord and may I join into His mission to do what I can and then to get out of the way. The best thing I can hope to do over these next two years is make sure that nobody needs to follow me. That the Albany United Methodist Society is in a good place to continue accomplishing great things and being open to the people that God would bring into them.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment